Sunday 15 December 2013

How to stop your make-up melting off | Oily skin problems


As you would've heard me mention before, I have oily skin. To be honest I don't mind having oily skin, I've heard a bit of oil is good for the skin, it slows down the ageing process. However, one thing I don't like about it, is the fact that my make-up always melts off my face! So, I thought I'd share a couple of things I've recently learnt to help combat this problem!

1. Foundation - When I first discovered make-up, I immediately opted for Mac, Mac everything! Mainly because it's such a popular brand and because at the time, it was one of the few counters to do a foundation in my shade, so I went with it and stuck with it! I paid more attention to the brand than I did to the product itself, I didn't realise that all my foundations have been oil based. However, in recent days I've realised that, water and silicone based foundations are better for my oily skin. I guess it makes sense really. I stumbled across my current foundation Sleek MakeUp New Skin Revive in 'Henna' by accident, I tried it on in the shop because I liked the colour, and i noticed that it felt really light on my skin, I wore it the whole day and noticed that my skin didn't look or feel as oily as it usually does under make up, so for now, I'm happy and I'm sticking with it Smiling face with smiling eyes


2. Primers

So you would've heard me mention Beautifully Matte Make Up Base by No7 in a previous blog. I first learnt about it when i was getting my make-up done for my sisters wedding. I really liked it, so I bought it. It matifies the skin and it acts as a base - making your skin a nice smooth canvas, which makes your foundation look better in my opinion and it also keeps this particular one works to keep the skin oil free, in my experience it doesn't keep the skin matte for the WHOLE day BUT it definitely makes a difference and makes your make up stay on a lot longer than it would without it.


3. Another product I've started using is Milk of Magnesia! Yes, Milk of Magnesia! I read about using it as a primer in many of the blogs I follow and at first I thought it was ridiculous! Who even discovered that a heart burn medicine stops shine and keeps make-up on for longer, but it does!! It works (for me, anyway!) I like to put it on AFTER my matte lotion, I put it on my oilier areas (forehead, nose and cheeks) with a foundation brush or I pour some into the lid and use my (clean) fingers, wait about 2 mins for it to dry and then I apply my foundation; for me, it keeps my make up on all day and drastically reduces shine and melting.


However, like I've said before, ive been told that primers shouldn't be used all the time, their purpose is to fill in/block the pores, so using them all the time could cause skin irritation and spots.

4. Another thing I use is Urban Decays de-slick Make-up Setting Oil-Control Spray. Now if I'm honest with you, and myself, I'm not sure if this works in terms of oil control; again, I first learnt about it when I was getting my make up done for my sisters wedding, I liked the idea of it, so again, in typical Jennifer style, I ran out and bought it!! It definitely sets the make-up, i.e. makes it look more settled on the face as opposed to 'caked' on, but I don't know if it plays a part in helping make-up stay on, but I like it anyway





Hope this is useful:)
Thanks for reading lovelies
Love, you
Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. the best
    http://exitwonds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will these tips work if you live in Las Vegas when its 115 degrees + outside? <3

    xo, N
    www.natashasolae.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeeek, I'm not too sure about that, maybe; I've been to Vegas once and I didn't bother wearing make up because of the heat...

      Nice blog btw :)
      xx

      Delete